Diary of rides and events
All Spokes rides are suitable for families unless otherwise noted.
Rides co-ordinator: Paul Rees - 01303 248121, firstname.lastname@example.org
Spokes holds regular rides usually on the first Sunday of each month. Everyone is welcome, including non-members. Children under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- We aim to integrate bikes and trains by starting and finishing our rides at or near railway stations.
- We have taken every care to ensure that ride details given here are correct at time of publishing but you may wish to check with the leader by phoning before travelling.
- You are advised to wear protective equipment, such as a cycle helmet, and wear warm clothing in cold weather. On longer rides, there will usually be refreshment stops but please bring a drink and some food with you. You should ensure your bike is in a safe, roadworthy condition before setting out.
- We regret that SPOKES and its members cannot accept liability for any accident or loss - please note that you attend a cycle ride at your own risk.
- Kent section Veteran Cycle Club rides, contact Dave on 01892 722584. For East Kent Cycling Club rides contact Jack Cole on 01843 592577 (evenings).
- White Cliffs and Romney Marsh Countryside Projects regularly organise cycle rides throughout South Kent. Call 01304 241806 or 01303 274806 for details and ask for a comprehensive guided walks leaflet.
B SEEN B SAFE
As part of Spokes campaign for safe cycling we must all play our part and look out for the safety of other road users and ourselves. In particular we ask that you pay attention to the ride leader at the start of each ride who will go through some safety instructions. This is particularly important if you are not used to riding in large groups. Some of the main points to consider are:
- Be sure that you are aware of who the leader and backstop are, ensure that you stay between these people. Please note: A first aid kit and a puncture outfit may be available from the back stop.
- Observe directions from Marshals they are there for your safety. Where junctions are not marshalled please stop and take care on riding off.
- When stopping on a hill or unexpectedly please SHOUT and signal to avoid collisions from behind
- Do not ride more than two abreast.
- Always leave a car sized gap every 4 to 5 people if possible.
- Wear Hi Visibility clothing...PLEASE NOTE SPOKES 'HI VIZ' WAISTCOATS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BARGAIN BUCKET PRICE OF £10.
- Ultimately you are responsible for your own safety. If you get into difficulty signal to the back stop.
- And finally, we are not a 'heads down bums up' cycling club so please enjoy the ride it is not a race.